Due to the potential risks of the ASUS MAXIMUS Z690 HERO motherboard catching on fire I built this temporary rig until ASUS figures out the problem. The Z690 HERO is definitely a nicer board. If I didn't have a wife, children, and dogs I would have probably kept running it. Below are the details of the build.
ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI Configuration
- Update the BIOS from Version 0503 to 0811.
- Configure initial BIOS settings to load Windows 11.
- Launch CSM: Disabled
- Secure Boot
- OS Type: Windows UEFI mode
- Secure Boot Mode: Custom
- Ai Tweaker
- Ai Overclock Tuner: XMP II
- Intel(R) Adaptive Boost Technology: Enabled
- ASUS MultiCore Enhancement: Enabled - Remove All limits
- Performance Core Ratio: AI Optimized
- Efficient Core Ratio: AI Optimized
- PCI Subsystem Settings
- Re-Size BAR Support: Enabled
- Run the Qfan Control to profile the fans (I don't run AI Suite 3).
- This netted me a 71% overclock (5.5 GHz).
- Noctua NH-D15 wouldn't fit in the horizontal direction so I had to install it vertically (airflow goes from bottom to top).
- Coming from an ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO I was disappointed to see only one USB 3.2 Gen 1 header.
- I get the feeling this motherboard has USB issues. When trying to connect a Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows via a USB hub it throws an error. My mouse froze twice through the same USB hub. On the Z690 Hero and previous build this was never an issue. I'm still testing and will update as I learn more.